Saturday, January 14, 2006

 

Trying to understand the MOLA


I finally bought some fabric to stitch together a Mola. Molas are the traditional folk art of Panama, created by the Kuna Natives in the San Blas Islands. My family has been collecting Molas for years- and at this point my mother hates them (because she's had to look at them for so long), so I now hold many vintage Molas. Nobody in my family has ever tried to make a Mola, and now I see why- it's a little harder then the "how to" websites let on. My hand sewing isn't that shabby, and I'm having a difficult time trying to find the right stitch. I may have to work with a much less ambitious design. Traditional Molas are made from layered fabrics with a reverse applique technique. You're supposed to cut down to the fabric to reveal different colors, and then sort of quilt them in.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?