Monday, February 27, 2006

 

Sonnet of the Week

While creating numerous spreadsheets for statistical analysis of my new job, my roommate and I watched Sense and Sensibility. I'm embarrassed to say that I had never watched this movie from start to finish, and I know that it is a favorite of many of my friends. I liked this movie because everyone can quote Shakespearean Sonnets with such ease, and I haven't thought about them since my undergraduate theatre days. So why not think about them more often.

This one is used heavily in Sense and Sensibility, and I actually had to learn this when I was a Freshman in College. I can always sort of quote it, but I'd like to know it better.

Sonnet 116
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds.
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his
height be taken.
Love's not time's fool, though rosy lips and
cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and
weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error, and upon me prov'd,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov'd.

This sonnet makes me a bit sad, because I wonder if it can really be true.

Comments:
Everyone is time's fool, even love.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?