Monday, April 24, 2006

 

Portrait of Brandy


When I was in college, I drew a picture of my friend Brandy- it was a quick sketch, and it was o.k. Today, I spent a little more time, and worked on color value a lot with watercolor pencils and regular water color. It's not perfect, but looking back on the things I did on CosCreative in water color pencil a few months ago, I can see that I've come a long way. I'm going to focus on portraits for the next couple of days- I really need practice on eyes and lips. If you would like your portrait painted, just ask! I may just do it without you knowing anyway, but I love assignments.

As a side note- My roommate and I just had a conversation (post posting) about this portrait, which got me thinking. Yes, I know that this doesn't look exactly look like Brandy (sorry Brandy- a better one will follow one day), and we figured out the reason. The portrait's eyes are a little too close together, and her face is not as rounded as it should be. I think this has a lot to do with how I drew the picture- on a table, not upright on an easle. I've been reading about respecting materials and perspective in American Artist Magazine, and I think it's time for me to start drawing things upright to get correct perspective. I'm so used to drawing things flat on a table (from drafting and design work), that I never thought about this.

Also, please note, that I'm never upset about critiques on the pieces- if you have suggestions, it just helps me to be a better artist!

Comments:
You're right about the eyes and the face shape, but I can also see the "essence" of Brandy very well.

If you do one of me, please, I would love to wear an expensive crown like a queen.
 
I just noticed another interesting thing. This portrait is of older Brandy - a Brandy with a little more years on her. Conversely, the self-portrait you did below appears to be of younger Marcos. Is there a psychological artistic reason you wish to make yourself appear younger and your friends appear older? Hmmm...
 
I can DEFINITELY see an OLDER Brandy ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?