Saturday, May 27, 2006

 

Babboons and other oddities


I work at a science museum creating odd exhibits. Most of the things that my department focuses on has to do with natural sciences- how we illustrate, or represent them, either with craft projects or theatre. My office sometimes becomes a menagerie of strange objects, and today I sat around being creative with some of them. These are the things that I have in my office:

3 baboon skulls
3 lizard skulls
4 cougar skulls
4 monkey skulls
4 otter skulls
2 human skulls
1 giant taxidermy armadillo
1 giant crab
1 large swab of fieldturf (fake grass which we're installing in an outdoor exhibit)
1 Tyrannosaurus Rex
1 giant gourd

I have to put all of these items into our Magic School Bus Exhibit to replace

1 giant ear
1 giant nose
1 giant heart
and a slew of various plastic organs.

Today I bought
100 Praying Manti
100 Ladybugs
12 Hissing Cockroaches
Toads
Hermit Crabs
Crickets
10 Millipedes
10 Centipedes
1000 Kaleidoscopes
2750 Magic Boxes
2000 Butterfly Puppets
1000 Dragonfly Puppets

I also had to translate a french text on Dragons from the Museum of Paris- which someone left on my desk saying- do you read French? Could you translate this.

It takes a lot of preparation to be creative at the museum- and a lot of shelf space.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?