Tuesday, July 25, 2006

 

Pen & Ink Intensive: Day 2


Day two was lot more relaxing for me. Today we focused on hatching, cross-hatching, and stippling. I prefer hatching and cross-hatching to the contour line work we did yesterday. There's more freedom in the movement of the fingers when you hatch, as opposed to contour line that requires you to keep your fingers stationary, and only move your hand across the paper, pulling the crow quill pen. We also used a 104 nib on the pen, which had a thinner line.

After endless hatching exercises, we moved onto rocks. I got a little bored, so I worked on a little monkey too.


I worked on this section of a pine cone for a while.



Later in the afternoon, we started stippling. I haven't done this since high school, but I forgot how hard it can be.








The bottom image is an example of a two toned image/ no shading.





I also forgot how rewarding the results of stippling can be. This is probably the most clean, detailed work I've done. Each figure took about an hour and a half.

As an entire experience, this class was incredible. I'm sad that I can't take section 2 (work won't let me go that long). My teacher was Carol Ann Morley, and she was terrific. You can look at some of her stuff on the web- she doesn't have a website (she comes from a time before the www), but some of her exhibition work is on gallery sites.

Comments:
That monkey is soooooooooo cute!
 
The stippling work is so wonderful. You really are fantastic! You should see some of the botanical art books that my step father has from when he was in college. They are beautiful and your work does them justice.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?