Tuesday, January 09, 2007

 

First Trial

My first attempt at making holograms did not yield anything. It was a little disappointing, but I found the whole process fascinating. Traditional holograms are made with two lasers. The Litholo kit uses just one, and a beam splitter. I've never developed film in a dark room, so this whole experience was quite new to me. There's a lot of timing involved, and the worst part, is that I have to sit still for 5 - 12 minutes. My first two attempts (a toy car and a small bottle of nail polish) didn't expose on the film plate. Tomorrow, I have to check the film plate to make sure that the plates are not damaged.

Sitting still for 5 minutes was really difficult. Vibrations are the enemy of holograms, so you have to be absolutely silent. My cat meowed a few times outside my door, so maybe that's why it didn't work...

The plus side: the whole kit took less then five minutes to put together- incredibly impressive, since the other books that I've been reading on holograms say that it takes days to prepare.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?